There are a number of different ways to handle make-up lessons with My School Books. Any regularly scheduled lesson can become a make-up lesson if you set the attendance status to “Present, Make-Up“. This will automatically deduct one make-up credit from the student’s account.
However, if you’re a teacher who prefers to schedule make-up lessons separately, My School Books can help you with that too. The simplest way is to create a new event category called “Make-Up Lesson”, and schedule make-up times on the calendar. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Log into your My School Books account
- Click “Calendar” from the main menu to view your calendar page
- Click “New > New Event” at the top of the screen, this will take you to the Event Details page
- (Optional) Set the Category to “Make-Up Lesson” if you want to distinguish this lesson slot from a regular lesson time (you may need to create a new category)
If you’re scheduling a make-up lesson for a specific student, add the student as a “Current Attendee” and then specify the other date/time information and click “Save“.
If you want to create an open lesson slot that students can join from the Parent/Student portal, follow these extra steps:
- Set “Visibility” to “Public“.
- Set “Student Portal” to “Allow Registration“.
- Set Maximum Students to “1” (this allows only a single student to register for the lesson slot).
- (Optional) Turn on “Make-up Credit Required“, this will only allow students who are owed a make-up credit to sign up for this lesson time through the Student/Parent Portal.
If you’re going to have a regularly scheduled make-up slot on your calendar, use the “Repeat” feature to automatically add this makeup lesson slot on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
Tip: When you take attendance for a makeup lesson, set the attendance status to “Present, Use Make-Up” so that My School Books knows to deduct a make-up credit from the student’s account.